Madeleine Recipe

I love madeleine but I have never attempted to bake them at home. First of all, I am not a great baker and madeleine is one of those things that doesn’t deserve failure. Secondly, I don’t have a madeleine pan, until yesterday.

I got my pan at the outlet store, for a very low price. I had no more excuses not to make madeleine, plus my elder sister is in town and she loves eating little cakes with her morning coffee.

I did a thorough research for the best madeleine recipe online and finally turned to my favorite food blogs for inspirations. I checked out David Lebovitz and 101 Cookbooks and improvised their recipes to create my very own madeleine recipe.


Ingredients:

  • 2 jumbo eggs plus 1 egg yolk
  • 5 oz. sugar
  • 5 oz. all-purpose flour (sieved)
  • 5 oz. unsalted butter (melted)
  • Lemon zest from half a lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (add into the sieved flour)


Method:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease the madeleine pan with butter.

Using an electronic hand beater, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and foamy. Add lemon juice, lemon zest into the egg mixture and blend well. Fold in the flour and use a spatula to mix well. Fold in the melted butter, stir and blend until the butter is well incorporated with the batter.

Transfer the batter into the madeleine pan and fill about 90% of each “hole”. Don’t spread it. Bake for 12 minutes or until they turn light brown.

Remove the madeleine pan from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.

You might need to tap the madeleine pan to release the madeleines. Sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar before serving.

Cook’s Note:
To make the madeleine extra humpy, chill the batter in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking.