{no roll, 5 ingredient} Cake Mix Sugar Cookies

Every year at Christmas I tend to go a bit crazy with buying stuff. I just can’t help myself. I always loved Christmas and Santa growing up (what kid doesn’t) but as a mom, I love watching them love the magic of Christmas even more. I enjoy being part of their magical day. Which is the reason I tend to go a bit crazy.

I always know it’s Christmas time when my closet starts to look like I’ve robbed a toy store, haha 🙂 I have to take inventory of my little toy store several times just to make sure I am not buying too much and so I don’t forget about what I have already bought. Please tell me it’s not just me…. anyone else have this same problem?!

Along with all the Holiday shopping the other important part of Christmas is BAKING! Being a food blogger, it’s basically the best thing ever, to bake and cook all day. Baking around the Holidays is one of my favorite times and I hope that my kids will remember these times as they get older. Kids in the kitchen can be frustrating, messy, and more trouble than you think it’s worth…. but I know they are memories that they will remember.

My girls and I love to sit and browse Pinterest for fun Christmas treats to make. I’m not one to always make the same thing every single year. There is just too much stuff to make!


Ingredients

  • sugar cookies
  • 1 box (16.25 oz) white cake mix, DO NOT prepare
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (for rolling cookies in)
  • frosting
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3-4 tablespoons half & half or heavy cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • red & green food coloring **


Instructions

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper or spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Sift boxed cake mix into a large mixing bowl. If you don't have a sifter, just pour cake mix into bowl and stir well with wire whisk to break up clumps.
  3. Add flour, oil, sour cream, and eggs into the mixing bowl. Use a hand held blender to beat until everything is combined and smooth.
  4. Add the 1/2 cup sugar into a separate small bowl.
  5. Roll dough into balls (about the size of a golf ball) and then roll dough ball in the sugar. Place 12 to a cookie sheet.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be pale and puffy.
  7. Let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Remove to cooling rack and let cool completely. The cookies are soft but will set up as they cool.
  8. TO MAKE FROSTING : Beat softened butter in a mixing bowl until creamy and smooth. Add powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract. Blend together until a thick, but spreadable, frosting forms. You may have to use more or less powdered sugar/milk deepening on desired frosting consistency.
  9. Frost cookies and add sprinkles on top.

Notes

You do not need to go out and buy a sifter for this recipe. If you don't have one, simply pour the cake mix into the mixing bowl and stir for 1-2 minutes with a wire whisk to break up the clumps. Then add the remaining ingredients according to the recipe.

** Food coloring tends to thin out frosting so be sure and check it after coloring the frosting because you will probably need to add a little bit extra powdered sugar to get the frosting thicker again.

Thanks done share recipes to : togetherasfamily.com/2017/11/no-roll-5-ingredient-cake-mix-sugar-cookies/