Easter Cookies

These nest cookies look extra cute because I gave my chocolate eggs a little speckle to appear more realistic. To do this you just mix up a little cocoa powder and vanilla extract, or vodka etc (the alcohol will evaporate) and then use a brush to flick the specks onto the eggs. It’s the same technique I used for my Robin’s Egg Cake and I love it! I used Hershey’s eggs for this cookie because I loved the pastel colors! When you toast the coconut make sure to take the pan out and mix all the flakes up then put back into the oven to finish. This will avoid black coconut on the edge of the pan and white in the middle. You need a nice golden brown color.

My little bird’s nest cookies are the perfect treat for Easter or any spring-time gathering! I started off with a batch of my no-spread sugar cookie dough then rolled it out and cut little circles for the base. I bought a set of concentric ring cutters and they’ve come in so handy! I made a small batch of vanilla buttercream up and piped little nests with a large round tip; you could totally just cut the tip off of a piping bag though. I pressed on toasted coconut to get a twiggy effect and then filled my nest with little chocolate eggs. This was one of the easiest holiday cookies I’ve made and I loved them. I’m just not great at piping and flooding with royal icing and even when It looks ok it takes me forever to mix all the different colors and consistencies and I just don’t have the time with twin boys at home. 


INGREDIENTS

  • For the Coconut Flakes:
  • 5 oz coconut flakes sweetened
  • For the Cookies:
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour 500g
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • ½ cup cornstarch 60g
  • 2 sticks butter 230g, room temp
  • 1 cup sugar 240g
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • For the Buttercream:
  • 1 ½ sticks butter 200g, unsalted, room temp
  • ½ bag confectioner’s sugar 350g
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp heavy cream
  • For the Chocolate Speckle:
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder nice quality
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 bag chocolate eggs

INSTRUCTIONS

For the Coconut Flakes:
Preheat oven to 325F.
Spread out coconut on a baking sheet.
Bake for about 5 -10 min.

For the Cookies:
Increase oven temp to 375F.

Sift flour, salt, cornstarch into a medium bowl. Give it a whisk.

In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.

Scrape down the bowl before adding eggs.

Add eggs. Mix until combined.

Add dry ingredients to the wet.

Mix on low with a paddle attachment until just combined. Drizzle in vanilla.

Transfer dough to parchment paper.

Roll into a disk.

Chill for about 1 hour.

Press to flatten and roll between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
Roll dough to ½ inch.

Use 2.5 inch circle cookie cutters.

Place cookies onto a baking sheet with a silpat.
Bake for 12 min.

Let cool before decorating.
For the Buttercream:
In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and confectioners sugar together. Add a cream and vanilla.

Transfer to a piping bag.

Snip off the tip.

For the Speckles:
Mix cocoa powder and vanilla in a bowl.

Using a paint brush, splatter chocolate eggs with mixture to create a speckled, robin’s egg look.

For the Assembly:
Pipe a ring of buttercream on each cookie.

Press on toasted coconut to create a nest look.

Add speckled eggs to the nest.

thanks done share recipes to : https://preppykitchen.com/easter-cookies/