Chicken Cheese Casserole

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias


This Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole is super cheesy and delicious! Cooked chicken combined with seasonings and elbow macaroni and cheese sauce, topped with bread crumbs - perfect for a holiday potluck!



Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole


I recently read a meme posted on Facebook by a local weather station that stated: When you live in Pennsylvania, if you're not happy about the weather, just wait 6 hours. That has never been more true where I live than this week!

Yesterday I woke up to a cloudless sky, sun shining, and unseasonably warm. In fact, when I went out to run some errands and realized as I came back that the boys were still inside watching TV, I made them go out and play. The radio station had just reported that in a few short hours, the temperature was about to drop 15 degrees, the wind was going to majorly pick up, and it was supposed to start raining. I honestly couldn't fathom that level of change in that short of an amount of time, but I wasn't going to have the boys waste precious hours burning energy outside.


Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole Recipe



Oh man, was I so glad I forced them to play out that morning! I had to quick run out again later Saturday night and the heat was blasting in my car because I was shivering so badly. I love winter, but I'm not quite ready for it to be here just yet. Anyone agree with me?


Chicken Macaroni & Cheese Casserole



This delicious Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole was created to take the classic macaroni and cheese side dish that we all know and love, and incorporate a few more ingredients so it qualifies as a meal. I call it a complete success and I know you will, too!  This is a wonderful comfort-food addition to any holiday get together as well. We have both a Christmas party and a school community potluck coming up this month that I can't wait to bring this dish to! I also love that this dinner can use up cooked chicken that might have hanging out in your pantry - a time-saver AND it uses up leftover food - score!


yield: 6 servingsprint recipe

Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole

Classic baked macaroni and cheese combined with cooked chicken, peas, and seasonings for a complete weeknight dinner recipe.
prep time: cook time: 35 MINStotal time: 35 mins

INGREDIENTS:

  • 8 oz Barilla Elbows
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 - 4 cups cooked chicken chopped
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
  2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk and chicken broth.
  3. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese and whisk until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Stir in peas, chicken, and drained macaroni noodles. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
  5. Top with remaining shredded cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow casserole to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Created using The Recipes Generator


Chicken Macaroni & Cheese Casserole Recipe



This is totally comfort food at it's finest, I'm telling you! Certainly feel free to replace the chicken with leftover Thanksgiving turkey or even ham if that's what you have on hand. Either of those would taste wonderful in this casserole!


Chicken Mac & Cheese Casserole with macaroni



I was able to pick up a box of my favorite Barilla Elbows during my last trip through Target and I was totally impressed with the variety of Barilla pasta that Target carries! Barilla's Classic Blue Box pasta allows you to bring enjoyment to you and your family every day happily and healthfully. Click here to learn more about Barilla's wonderful products. Don't forget to grab this Cartwheel offer for 20% off of Barilla Pronto Pasta expiring 11/26.



Chicken Mac and Cheese Casserole



What pasta dish is your favorite potluck recipe? Let me know in the comment section below!


Chicken Macaroni and Cheese Casserole