GF FLATBREAD PIZZA CRUST (NUT FREE, PALEO)

Updated post September 12, 2017;
Recipe originally posted September 10, 2015

For most of my life, I hated pizza. I'm pretty positive it correlates to my dislike of tomatoes, which makes me really not like red sauce. If you know Kyle at all, you know that this reaaalllly strained our relationship at first. Fortunately, I got smart and realized how silly I was being when it came to the delicious that is pizza... just in time to go paleo! Paleo makes grabbing pizza out at a restaurant difficult. Actually, it's pretty much impossible. Many places have started to offer gluten free crust, but that doesn't guarantee it's any better. There's no way to be sure of the quality and honestly, most "gluten free" marketed products are just filled with garbage gluten free fours. In my opinion, if you want to guarantee taste and quality, making paleo pizza at home is the option.

There are tons of Paleo pizza crust options that are out there. But I'd like to do a breakdown of a few of them. For starters, there is cauliflower crust pizza, which is a pretty popular option. Trader Joe's even sells a naked cauliflower crust now. These crusts taste awesome, but I think that's because there is usually a shit ton of cheese in them. While I do eat grass-fed dairy from time to time, I try to limit it because I've found it can cause my skin to break out plus I don't like eating a lot in one sitting. This pretty much knocks cauliflower crust out of the running for me. It also takes a lot of work. And most days I don't feel like spending 10 mins squeezing water out of cauliflower.

Another option is almond flour crust. It's quicker and crispier than cauliflower crust, which means it can usually be eaten like a traditional slice of pizza. But I find it to have less flavor and cost about $4000 to make. Almond flour isn't cheap ya'll. Nothing is wrong with either of these two options. I dabble in both time to time and they're both perfectly fine for pizza crusts if that's what you prefer.

The third option I have to you all is my preferred paleo pizza option. It uses one of the ingredients I have the most fun with - tapioca flour! I use this with some coconut flour for a teeny bit of natural sweetness.  Combining these two flour with eggs and seasonings gives a great tasting flat bread crust. The best part is that it binds and cooks well enough that you can pick it up and eat it with our hands! This one's completely free of almond flour and other nuts, so it's generally safe for nut allergies.  I say generally, because I'm not a doctor. I don't know you or your allergies, so please exercise caution when eating this if you may have issues with any of the ingredients listed below :)  Now that I've given that little medical disclaimer, give this crust a whirl and re-instate your weekly pizza night!


Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup tapioca flour (+ up to 1/4 cup addtl if needed)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 4 eggs, whisked
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • pizza sauce & toppings of your choice!

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. If it is still very runny, add in tapioca flour 1 tbsp at a time, up to 1/4 cup. Batter will not form a full dough, but it should not be runny.
4. Using a spoon, divide the batter in half on the center of each baking sheet.
5. Use the back of the spoon to spread the mixture out into a flatbread shape. The thinner you make this, the crispier the crust will get.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and top with your choice of sauce, leaving a 1/2-1" rim around the edges.  Add your pizza toppings and cheese (if you choose)
8. Place back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. If you used cheese, it should be fully melted.
9. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-7 minutes. Use a pizza cutter to cut each into 8 pieces. Serve!

Note: I topped my pizza with Muir Glen pizza sauce, Applegate pepperoni, green pepper, red pepper, fresh minced garlic and Kerrygold cheese.

Thanks done share recipes to : https://www.personallypaleo.com/entries/flatbread-pizza